Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Dresses

I was brave and decided to make my girls dresses for Easter this year. 
Really brave because I only had a couple of days to get them finished before I left on a last minute trip. 

What do you think?

I roughly followed THIS pattern. 
I really love the strip look, but I got exhausted thinking about finishing all of those edges, and I needed to be done quick
(my friend did hers this way and it turned out darling)

One of these days I'm just going to buy a real pattern and make life easier on myself.
But on the other hand, it is kind of fun to just make them up.

I added a flower like shown HERE.
 Since this flower has raw edges, I needed a way to remove it. 
Pins don't seem to stay closed around my girls, 
so I sewed a simple snap on the back to be able to remove it for washing... 
now to train my girls to take it off before placing it in the hamper

The trickiest part was adjusting the pattern to make it fully lined. I wanted the girls to be able to wear their dresses with out undershirts. 
I was planning on adding a ruffle (to match the flower) to the lining so that you could see it poking out from underneath, but ran out of time. I also wanted to put pockets on, just because my girls love pockets. 
Maybe later...

This dress I also learned how to do smocking... check out how the straps turned out too. 
Cute, simple and just enough of a sleeve.

Wanna see how they look on my cute, lil' models?


Love it!
Be brave, try new things and...

Craft Me This!

3 comments:

Deb said...

These are DARLING! I love the flower pin! I'm going to have to copy that! I love the smocking, I can't believe you learned that! I love it all! CUTE!

Melanie said...

Those turned out so cute. I LOVE the sleeves! You'll have to tell me how you did them. So fun.

hotbutteredpopcorn said...

When we wanted some lace or something to show, it was fun to have a slip with eyelet lace around the bottom. Then you could switch it with whatever dress you wanted, or wear the dress without it! So very cute and you are so talented at making things just by looking at them and figuring out how you will do it!

Post a Comment